Aida

Buy tickets
PreviousMay 2021
Mo
Tu
We
Th
Fr
Sa
Su

Opera lirica in four acts
Libretto by Antonio Ghislanzoni based on a treatment by Auguste Mariette,
developed by Camille Du Locle in collaboration with Giuseppe Verdi
World premiere 24th December 1871 in Cairo
Premiere at the Deutsche Oper Berlin, 22nd November 2015


Recommended from 13 years on


In Benedikt von Peter's production of AIDA soloists, choir and orchestra will be placed in the visitor area. Temporary visual restrictions may therefore occur. The entrance to the hall for this production takes place 5 minutes before the performance begins.


In Italian language with German and English surtitles


3 hrs 15 mins / 1 interval

Program and cast

Conductor: Giampaolo Bisanti

Stage Director: Benedikt von Peter

Set Design: Katrin Wittig

Costume Design: Lene Schwind

Video: Bert Zander

Chorus Master: Jeremy Bines

Il re: Patrick Guetti

Amneris: Anna Smirnova

Aida: Sondra Radvanovsky

Radames: Stefano La Colla

Ramfis: Simon Lim

Amonasro: Noel Bouley

Un messaggero: Ya-Chung Huang

Una sacerdotessa: Aviva Fortunata

Choir: Chor der Deutschen Oper Berlin

Oorchestra: Orchester der Deutschen Oper Berlin

Deutsche Oper Berlin

The Deutsche Oper Berlin is an opera company located in the Charlottenburg district of Berlin, Germany. The resident building is the country's second largest opera house and also home to the Berlin State Ballet.

The company's history goes back to the Deutsches Opernhaus built by the then independent city of Charlottenburg—the "richest town of Prussia"—according to plans designed by Heinrich Seeling from 1911. It opened on November 7, 1912 with a performance of Beethoven's Fidelio, conducted by Ignatz Waghalter. After the incorporation of Charlottenburg by the 1920 Greater Berlin Act, the name of the resident building was changed to Städtische Oper (Municipal Opera) in 1925.

Deutsches Opernhaus, 1912
With the Nazi Machtergreifung in 1933, the opera was under control of the Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda. Minister Joseph Goebbels had the name changed back to Deutsches Opernhaus, competing with the Berlin State Opera in Mitte controlled by his rival, the Prussian minister-president Hermann Göring. In 1935, the building was remodeled by Paul Baumgarten and the seating reduced from 2300 to 2098. Carl Ebert, the pre-World War II general manager, chose to emigrate from Germany rather than endorse the Nazi view of music, and went on to co-found the Glyndebourne opera festival in England. He was replaced by Max von Schillings, who acceded to enact works of "unalloyed German character". Several artists, like the conductor Fritz Stiedry or the singer Alexander Kipnis followed Ebert into emigration. The opera house was destroyed by a RAF air raid on 23 November 1943. Performances continued at the Admiralspalast in Mitte until 1945. Ebert returned as general manager after the war.

After the war, the company in what was now West Berlin used the nearby building of the Theater des Westens until the opera house was rebuilt. The sober design by Fritz Bornemann was completed on 24 September 1961. The opening production was Mozart's Don Giovanni. The new building opened with the current name.

© Günter Karl Bose
© Marcus Lieberenz
© Bettina Stöß
© Marcus Lieberenz
Related events