Falstaff

Buy tickets
October 2020 Next
Mo
Tu
We
Th
Fr
Sa
Su

Commedia lirica in three acts
Libretto by Arrigo Boito, based on William Shakespeare's „The Merry Wives of Windsor“
First performed on 9. February, 1893 at Milan
Premiered at the Deutsche Oper Berlin on 17. November, 2013


In Italian language with German and English surtitles


2 hrs 30 mins / 1 interval


Pre-performance lecture (in German): 45 minutes prior to each performance

Program and cast

Conductor: Ivan Repusic

Director: Christof Loy

Stage-design: Johannes Leiacker

Costume-design: Ursula Renzenbrink

Chorus Master: Jeremy Bines

Choreographer: Thomas Wilhelm

Light-design: Bernd Purkrabek

Sir John Falstaff: Misha Kiria

Ford: Thomas Lehman

Fenton: Mingjie Lei

Cajus: Andrew Dickinson

Bardolfo: Gideon Poppe

Pistola: Andrew Harris

Alice Ford: Annette Dasch

Nannetta: Meechot Marrero

Meg Page: Arianna Manganello

Mrs Quickly: Annika Schlicht

Pianist: Douglas V. Brown

Chorus Master: Chor der Deutschen Oper Berlin

Orchestra: Orchester der Deutschen Oper Berlin

Deutsche Oper Berlin

The Deutsche Oper Berlin is an opera company located in the Charlottenburg district of Berlin, Germany. The resident building is the country's second largest opera house and also home to the Berlin State Ballet.

The company's history goes back to the Deutsches Opernhaus built by the then independent city of Charlottenburg—the "richest town of Prussia"—according to plans designed by Heinrich Seeling from 1911. It opened on November 7, 1912 with a performance of Beethoven's Fidelio, conducted by Ignatz Waghalter. After the incorporation of Charlottenburg by the 1920 Greater Berlin Act, the name of the resident building was changed to Städtische Oper (Municipal Opera) in 1925.

Deutsches Opernhaus, 1912
With the Nazi Machtergreifung in 1933, the opera was under control of the Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda. Minister Joseph Goebbels had the name changed back to Deutsches Opernhaus, competing with the Berlin State Opera in Mitte controlled by his rival, the Prussian minister-president Hermann Göring. In 1935, the building was remodeled by Paul Baumgarten and the seating reduced from 2300 to 2098. Carl Ebert, the pre-World War II general manager, chose to emigrate from Germany rather than endorse the Nazi view of music, and went on to co-found the Glyndebourne opera festival in England. He was replaced by Max von Schillings, who acceded to enact works of "unalloyed German character". Several artists, like the conductor Fritz Stiedry or the singer Alexander Kipnis followed Ebert into emigration. The opera house was destroyed by a RAF air raid on 23 November 1943. Performances continued at the Admiralspalast in Mitte until 1945. Ebert returned as general manager after the war.

After the war, the company in what was now West Berlin used the nearby building of the Theater des Westens until the opera house was rebuilt. The sober design by Fritz Bornemann was completed on 24 September 1961. The opening production was Mozart's Don Giovanni. The new building opened with the current name.

© Günter Karl Bose
© Hans Jörg Michel
© Bettina Stöß
© Hans Jörg Michel
Related events