Il viaggio a Reims

Buy tickets
March 2021 Next
Mo
Tu
We
Th
Fr
Sa
Su

Dramma giocoso in one act;
Libretto by Giuseppe Luigi Balochi;
First performed on 19th June 1825 at the Théâtre-Italien in Paris
Premiered at the Deutsche Oper Berlin on 15th June 2018


In Italian with German and English surtitles


2 hrs 45 mins / one interval


Pre-performance lecture (in German): 45 minutes prior to each performance

Program and cast

Conductor: Giacomo Sagripanti

Director: Jan Bosse

Stage design: Stéphane Laimé

Costume design: Kathrin Plath

Light design: Kevin Sock

Video: Meika Dresenkamp

Corinna: Elena Tsallagova

Marchesa Melibea: Beth Taylor

Contessa di Folleville: Marina Monzò

Madama Cortese: Hulkar Sabirova

Cavaliere Belfiore: Gideon Poppe

Il Conte di Libenskof: Juan de Dios Mateos

Lord Sidney: Misha Kiria

Don Profondo: Biagio Pizzuti

Barone di Trombonok: Philipp Jekal

Don Alvaro: Samuel Dale Johnson

Don Prudenzio: Padraic Rowan

Zefirino: Michael Kim

Maddalena: Alexandra Ionis

Modestina: Arianna Manganello

Delia: Davia Bouley

Antonio: Tyler Zimmerman

Orchestra: Orchester der Deutschen Oper Berlin

Deutsche Oper Berlin

The Deutsche Oper Berlin is an opera company located in the Charlottenburg district of Berlin, Germany. The resident building is the country's second largest opera house and also home to the Berlin State Ballet.

The company's history goes back to the Deutsches Opernhaus built by the then independent city of Charlottenburg—the "richest town of Prussia"—according to plans designed by Heinrich Seeling from 1911. It opened on November 7, 1912 with a performance of Beethoven's Fidelio, conducted by Ignatz Waghalter. After the incorporation of Charlottenburg by the 1920 Greater Berlin Act, the name of the resident building was changed to Städtische Oper (Municipal Opera) in 1925.

Deutsches Opernhaus, 1912
With the Nazi Machtergreifung in 1933, the opera was under control of the Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda. Minister Joseph Goebbels had the name changed back to Deutsches Opernhaus, competing with the Berlin State Opera in Mitte controlled by his rival, the Prussian minister-president Hermann Göring. In 1935, the building was remodeled by Paul Baumgarten and the seating reduced from 2300 to 2098. Carl Ebert, the pre-World War II general manager, chose to emigrate from Germany rather than endorse the Nazi view of music, and went on to co-found the Glyndebourne opera festival in England. He was replaced by Max von Schillings, who acceded to enact works of "unalloyed German character". Several artists, like the conductor Fritz Stiedry or the singer Alexander Kipnis followed Ebert into emigration. The opera house was destroyed by a RAF air raid on 23 November 1943. Performances continued at the Admiralspalast in Mitte until 1945. Ebert returned as general manager after the war.

After the war, the company in what was now West Berlin used the nearby building of the Theater des Westens until the opera house was rebuilt. The sober design by Fritz Bornemann was completed on 24 September 1961. The opening production was Mozart's Don Giovanni. The new building opened with the current name.

© Günter Karl Bose
© Ruth Tromboukis
© Bettina Stöß
© Ruth Tromboukis
Related events