The Prophet

Grand Opéra in five acts Giacomo Meyerbeer
Libretto by Eugène Scribe and Émile Deschamps
First performed on 16th April 1849 at Opéra national de Paris
Premiered at the Deutsche Oper Berlin on 26th November 2017


Recommended from 16 years on


In French language with German and Englisch surtitles


4 hrs 30 mins / two intervals

Program and cast

Conductor: Enrique Mazzola

Stage Director: Olivier Py

Set Design; Costume Design: Pierre-André Weitz

Light Design: Bertrand Killy

Chorus Master: Jeremy Bines

Children's Chorus: Christian Lindhorst

Jean de Leyde: Gregory Kunde

Fidès: Clémentine Margaine

Berthe: Elena Tsallagova

Zacharie: Derek Welton

Jonas: Gideon Poppe

Mathisen: Thomas Lehman

Oberthal: Seth Carico

1st Farmer: Jacquelyn Stucker

2nd Farmer: Anna Buslidze

1st Farmer / 1st Anabaptist / 1st Citizen / Soldier: Ya-Chung Huang

2nd Farmer / 2nd Anabaptist: Byung Gil Kim

2nd Citizen / Officer: Michael Kim

3rd Citizen: Samuel Dale Johnson

4th Citizen: Timothy Newton

Chorus: Chor der Deutschen Oper Berlin

Chöre: Kinderchor der Deutschen Oper Berlin

Orchestra: Orchester der Deutschen Oper Berlin

Ballet: Opernballett der Deutschen Oper Berlin

Buy tickets
February 2020 Next
Mo
Tu
We
Th
Fr
Sa
Su

Deutsche Oper Berlin

The Deutsche Oper Berlin is an opera company located in the Charlottenburg district of Berlin, Germany. The resident building is the country's second largest opera house and also home to the Berlin State Ballet.

The company's history goes back to the Deutsches Opernhaus built by the then independent city of Charlottenburg—the "richest town of Prussia"—according to plans designed by Heinrich Seeling from 1911. It opened on November 7, 1912 with a performance of Beethoven's Fidelio, conducted by Ignatz Waghalter. After the incorporation of Charlottenburg by the 1920 Greater Berlin Act, the name of the resident building was changed to Städtische Oper (Municipal Opera) in 1925.

Deutsches Opernhaus, 1912
With the Nazi Machtergreifung in 1933, the opera was under control of the Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda. Minister Joseph Goebbels had the name changed back to Deutsches Opernhaus, competing with the Berlin State Opera in Mitte controlled by his rival, the Prussian minister-president Hermann Göring. In 1935, the building was remodeled by Paul Baumgarten and the seating reduced from 2300 to 2098. Carl Ebert, the pre-World War II general manager, chose to emigrate from Germany rather than endorse the Nazi view of music, and went on to co-found the Glyndebourne opera festival in England. He was replaced by Max von Schillings, who acceded to enact works of "unalloyed German character". Several artists, like the conductor Fritz Stiedry or the singer Alexander Kipnis followed Ebert into emigration. The opera house was destroyed by a RAF air raid on 23 November 1943. Performances continued at the Admiralspalast in Mitte until 1945. Ebert returned as general manager after the war.

After the war, the company in what was now West Berlin used the nearby building of the Theater des Westens until the opera house was rebuilt. The sober design by Fritz Bornemann was completed on 24 September 1961. The opening production was Mozart's Don Giovanni. The new building opened with the current name.

© Günter Karl Bose
© Bettina Stöß
© Bettina Stöß
© Bettina Stöß
Related events